Benefits of online learning
Delivered online and available full-time or part-time over 20, 24, 32, or 36 months, our postgraduate masters programmes are ideal for those who wish to gain a world-class award from an internationally renowned university while maintaining professional and personal commitments.
- You study at times that are convenient for you.
- You become part of a rich and varied online community of people in your field.
- You earn a qualification from a university that is recognised worldwide.
- You learn the latest developments from academics who work at the leading edge in your field of study.
The innovative nature of our programmes and their online delivery have enabled us to attract students from all over the world, at all stages of life, from policy making, professional practice, business, and industry.
Our online LLM programmes and Postgraduate Certificate in Law are academically equivalent to our on-campus qualifications and involve the same level of work overall.
The qualification you get is of equal value, and your degree certificate will not mention that you studied the programme online.
Our courses and programmes are built around the principle of flexibility, helping you to fit your studies around work and other commitments. You learn at times and in places convenient to you, while maintaining a sense of community with your fellow students. Our teaching approach emphasises and supports participation in learning activities, and our tutors are present in the online discussions to help develop your understanding. We believe that a sense of community is essential to a successful Online Learning environment, and we work hard to achieve this.
Our Online Learning programmes and courses are delivered via Learn, our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Through the VLE you will access learning materials and interact with your tutors and fellow students. Learn is accessible via a web browser on any device, including a mobile phone, which is connected to the internet.
Our VLE and courses have been designed with your learning in mind, drawing on user feedback and research into online learning pedagogy. To help you make the most of your studies and the VLE, we provide detailed orientation information, user guides, and online support by email.
Throughout your studies at Edinburgh, you will be supported by a dedicated team of staff in the Online Learning Team. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience working with online students and are ready to assist with your queries, however small. In addition to this, you will also be allocated a Personal Tutor, a member of academic staff who is available to support you throughout your academic journey.
You can also make use of support services offered by the University of Edinburgh, including:
- Academic and personal development resources through the Institute for Academic Development;
- Email or telephone support from the careers advisers in our Careers Service;
- Remote, email-based counselling sessions delivered through the Student Counselling Service;
- Support from the Student Disability Service for students with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, mental health issues, autistic spectrum disorders, chronic illnesses, physical and sensory impairments.
If you have any questions about studying online with us please don't hesitate to contact us.