Edinburgh Law School News
- SFJP take part in 100 Years of Women in Law event at the University of Glasgow
Published 17/04/2019 13:51
Monday 15th April 2019 saw the Law School’s Professor Sharon Cowan and Dr Chloë Kennedy deliver presentations at an event celebrating the centenary of the Sex Disqualification (Removal) Act 1919.
- Edinburgh Law School student delivers keynote at Buckingham Palace dinner
Published 16/04/2019 11:22
Ruaridh Allison, final year law student at the University of Edinburgh, gave the keynote speech at a widening participation dinner, hosted by HRH the Princess Royal, Chancellor of the University, at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday 27th February.
- Dr Gemma Flynn embarks on lecture tour of Northwestern, UIC, Harvard
Published 09/04/2019 11:06
Edinburgh Law School’s Dr Gemma Flynn, Teaching Fellow in Criminology, has begun a series of guest lectures in the US with an event at Northwestern University on Monday 8th April 2019.
- Law School staff nominated for EUSA Teaching Awards 2019
Published 09/04/2019 10:37
The Edinburgh Law School has been honoured with a raft of nominations for the annual EUSA Teaching Awards, which give recognition to teachers, personal tutors, students who tutor, research supervisors, and support staff.
- Edinburgh International Willem Vis Pre-Moot welcomes international teams to the Law School
Published 09/04/2019 10:34
On Saturday 16th March and Sunday 17th March 2019 the 8th Edinburgh International Willem Vis Pre-Moot took place at the Edinburgh Law School.
- Europa Institute establishes new early career visiting fellowship
Published 02/04/2019 11:59
The scheme, funded by the FUTURES Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence at the Europa Institute and the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union, will provide the opportunity for academics to complete short visits to the Edinburgh Law School.
- Inaugural Edinburgh-Glasgow International Law Workshop to be held at Edinburgh Law School
Published 26/03/2019 13:47
The inaugural meeting of the Edinburgh-Glasgow International Law Workshop is set to take place from the 8th-10th April 2019 at Old College.
- Students of Edinburgh Diploma in Professional Legal Practice win National Student Negotiation Competition
Published 26/03/2019 13:22
On Friday 22 March, Lucy McCracken and Kay Cuthbertson represented the Edinburgh Diploma at the National Student Negotiation Competition, going on to be named the winning team.
- Edinburgh Law School Senior Lecturer presents at Council on General Affairs and Policy
Published 20/03/2019 09:31
In early March, Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm, Director of Internationalisation and Senior Lecturer in International Private Law at the Edinburgh Law School, attended the Council on General Affairs and Policy (CGAP) of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).
- Professor Neil Walker receives Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship
Published 19/03/2019 10:14
Professor Neil Walker, Regius Professor of Public Law and the Law of Nature and Nations at Edinburgh Law School, has been awarded a Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship to explore the relationship between Law and Utopia.
- Dr Kasey McCall-Smith moderates panel discussion at Glasgow Film Festival
Published 13/03/2019 13:56
Edinburgh Law School’s Dr Kasey McCall-Smith was recently invited to moderate a panel at the Glasgow Film Festival following a screening of ‘Eminent Monsters’, a new documentary by BAFTA-award winning director Stephen Bennett.
- Edinburgh Law School alumnus elected to Colorado House of Representatives
Published 13/03/2019 11:56
Matthew Soper has become the first Law School alumnus to serve in the Colorado General Assembly.
- Dr Chloe Kennedy speaks at Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service on International Women’s Day
Published 12/03/2019 10:07
On 8th March 2019, International Women’s Day, Edinburgh Law School’s Chloe Kennedy was invited to speak to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service on the subject of the Scottish Feminist Judgments Project.
- Edinburgh Law School LLM students take part in European Law Moot Court regional finals
Published 12/03/2019 09:50
In recent weeks, two teams of LLM students from the Edinburgh Law School participated in two of four regional finals of the European Law Moot Court (ELMC).
- First year Edinburgh Law School student wins nationwide Law Tech Challenge
Published 12/03/2019 09:33
In February, Edinburgh Law School student Lauren Graham participated in the Student Law Tech Challenge 2019.
- Edinburgh Law School’s Chair of Public International Law Nehal Bhuta delivers lecture at UCL
Published 12/03/2019 09:26
On Thursday 7th March 2019, Professor Nehal Bhuta gave a lecture titled ‘Hugo Grotius’s Theory of the State: Lessons for our Time?’ at the Faculty of Laws, University College London.
- Dr Gemma Flynn takes to Glasgow Comedy Festival with Feminist comedy show
Published 07/03/2019 13:07
Edinburgh Law School academic Dr Gemma Flynn will perform her show as part of the Glasgow Comedy Festival line up.
- Women’s rights increasingly likely to feature in peace deals, Edinburgh Law School research shows
Published 05/03/2019 13:06
Despite being historically overlooked in agreements, women’s rights are increasingly more likely to be incorporated into peace processes, research by the Political Settlement Research Project (PSRP) says.
- Prof Christine Bell appointed Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
- In Memoriam: David Sellar 27 February 1941 – 26 January 2019
Published 26/02/2019 15:20
Edinburgh Law School is saddened by the news that William David Hamilton Sellar, MVO, BA, LLB, LLD, FRHistS, FSA(Scot), passed away last month on 26th January at the age of 77 after a period of increasing ill-health.
- Political Settlements Research Programme launches latest Accord at the British Academy
Published 26/02/2019 12:39
The PSRP’s end-of-programme publication, Conciliation Resources' latest Accord, titled ‘Navigating inclusion in peace processes’ has been published today, Tuesday 26th February 2019, and launched at an event at the British Academy.
- Law and Polity Project introduces Symposium on Law, Polity, and the Legacy of Statehood
Published 26/02/2019 09:49
Edinburgh Law School’s Law and Polity Project has introduced their Symposium in the International Journal of Constitutional Law.
- Scottish Feminist Judgments Project launches exhibition in Glasgow
Published 19/02/2019 13:29
From Tuesday 12th to Friday 15th February, South Block in Glasgow hosted a temporary exhibition by the SFJP.
- Edinburgh Law School refurbishment shortlisted for RICS Award 2019
Published 19/02/2019 11:18
The newly refurbished Edinburgh Law School in historic Old College has been shortlisted for a regional award by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.
- Global Justice Academy Fellowships announced
Published 14/02/2019 15:39
Dr Kasey McCall-Smith and Dr Jeremy Knox have been announced as new Global Justice Academy Fellows.
- Festival of Creative Learning comes to the Edinburgh Law School
Published 14/02/2019 11:58
The FCL will take place from Monday 18th - Friday 22nd February 2019.
- Scottish Feminist Judgments Project presents on art and innovation in justice at RebLaw 2019
Published 13/02/2019 14:50
Dr Chloë Kennedy and Professor Sharon Cowan took part in a panel at the Rebellious Lawyering Conference on Saturday 9th February.
- Professor Emilios Avgouleas presents on AI to leading think tank and banking regulators
Published 13/02/2019 14:46
On Tuesday 5th February, the Professor spoke to attendees at two significant workshops for international business, legal, and banking interests.
- Dr Urquhart wins ESRC Grant for international project on Emotional AI
Published 29/01/2019 10:56
Dr Lachlan Urquhart is part of a team that recently won a £50,000 ESRC Grant from the UK-Japan Connections funding stream for a project called ‘Emotional AI: Comparative Considerations for UK and Japan across Commercial, Political and Security Sectors’.
- Political Settlements Research Programme supports women’s meaningful participation in peace processes
Published 28/01/2019 13:35
Researchers from the Political Settlements Research Programme have published a new briefing series on inclusive peace processes in partnership with UN Women. The series supports women’s meaningful participation and the integration of gender perspectives in peace processes that aim to end violent intra-state conflict.
- Professor Nehal Bhuta co-organises major international human rights conference in New York
Published 18/01/2019 11:04
Nehal Bhuta, Chair of Public International Law at Edinburgh Law School, has co-organised "The Struggle for Human Rights: Law, Politics, Practice," a two-day international conference on cutting-edge issues in human rights and practice, at New York University from 17-18 January 2019.
- Rebecca Samaras invited to speak about access to justice and pro bono in Scotland at the Seventh Civil Justice Council National Forum at Westminster
Published 19/12/2018 09:55
- Professor Nehal Bhuta gives a lecture at the NATO Defence College in Rome
Published 11/12/2018 14:27
The lecture took place on Monday, 10 December 2018
- Edinburgh Law School's Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC) recognised for the second year running at the Law Awards of Scotland 2018
Published 05/12/2018 14:07
The FLAC team received a Commendation for their pro bono work
- Dr Ruiqiao Zhang invited by China Law Society (CLS) to attend the 3rd UK-China Rule of Law Roundtable
Published 21/11/2018 16:07
The roundtable took place 14-16 November in Haikou, China
- Remembering Professor Alan Watson (1933 - 2018)
Published 09/11/2018 15:14
It is with great sadness that Edinburgh Law School notes the death of Professor Alan Watson.
- Dr Leandro Mancano awarded Common Market Law Review Prize for Young Academics 2018
Published 06/11/2018 15:35
Common Law Market Review is ranked the number 1 journal for European Law
- Professor Burkhard Schafer co-authors a major report presented to the German Ministry of Justice
Published 06/11/2018 15:15
Edinburgh Law School academic contributed to the report on AI and consumer protection law
- Academic speaks at 14th Austrian Media Forum on ‘Recapturing Privacy’
Published 01/11/2018 12:07
Ms. Judith Rauhofer was invited to speak to representatives of the Austrian radio, TV and online media industry as part of the 14th Austrian Media Forum (Österreichisches Rundfunkforum), which took place in Vienna on 18/19 October 2018.
- Professor Burkhard Schafer invited as a panellist to INDustrial TECHnologies 2018
Published 29/10/2018 15:48
Professor of Computational Legal Theory and Director of the SCRIPT Centre will present in Vienna on October 31, 2018
- FLAC shortlisted for the Pro Bono Award at the Law Awards of Scotland for the second year running
Published 29/10/2018 14:17
Edinburgh Law School's Free Legal Advice Centre has been recognised a second time
- Prof Richard Sparks awarded doctor honoris causa by KU Leuven
Published 24/10/2018 09:37
The Academic Council of KU Leuven has announced that they will be conferring an honorary degree upon Edinburgh Law School's Professor Richard Sparks at a ceremony in April 2019.
- Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm chairs first ELFA-ELI European Jurist project meeting
Published 24/10/2018 09:13
The first meeting of the European Law Faculties Association (ELFA)- European Law Institute (ELI) European Jurist Project took place on Friday 21 September. Organised and chaired by Edinburgh Law School’s Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm, the meeting was hosted at the Société de Législation Comparée and at the Cour de Cassation, in Paris, France.
- Professor Nehal Bhuta invited to participate in prestigious workshop at US Military Academy
Published 23/10/2018 16:40
Chair of Public International Law, Professor Nehal Bhuta, will be attending the invitation only, annual Lieber Workshop in the Laws of War convened by West Point’s Lieber Institute for Law and Land Warfare.
- Prof Emilios Avgouleas speaks at Carnegie-Tsinghua on currency wars and global trade relations
Published 22/10/2018 14:00
Professor Emilios Avgouleas was the keynote speaker in a Beijing roundtable on global trade relations and policy reforms for the global economy hosted by the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy (Carnegie Global Peace Initiative and Tsinghua University) in September.
- Edinburgh Law School, reinforcing its strengths, adds two senior faculty in International Law
Published 10/10/2018 15:44
Reaffirming its place as world-leading place to study and research international law, Edinburgh Law School has recruited two new senior faculty specializing in international law and global governance.
- Edinburgh Law School takes part in the Edinburgh Legal Walk 2018
Published 10/10/2018 12:00
The annual walk is designed to raise money for access to justice
- Professor Christine Bell to address UN seminar on gender and inclusion
Published 08/10/2018 13:01
Global Justice Academy Director will speak at the UN High Level Seminar on 9 October 2018.
- Streetlaw workshop delivered at ECPLS by Professor David McQuoid-Mason
Published 08/10/2018 12:35
The Founder of the South African Streetlaw Programme visited the Edinburgh Centre for Professional Legal Studies
- Scottish Feminist Judgments Project holds exhibition at Scottish Parliament
Published 03/10/2018 15:12
The private members' exhibition ran from 10-14 September 2018
- Student success honoured at the Law School Prize-giving Ceremony 2018
Published 03/10/2018 11:04
The ceremony took place on September 11 2018
- Professor Gerry Maher meets Taiwanese judges visiting Scotland to learn about Scottish justice system
Published 01/10/2018 16:41
The delegates visited Professor Maher on 25 September 2018
- Professor Lesley McAra elected President of the European Society of Criminology
Published 24/09/2018 15:28
Edinburgh Law School's Chair of Penology was voted in at the Society's annual conference in Sarajevo
- Research study reveals positive influence of peace process on victims of domestic violence in Northern Ireland
Published 13/09/2018 10:00
A study published by the Edinburgh Law School Political Settlements Research Programme (PSRP), has shown how victims of domestic violence have benefited from the peace process in Northern Ireland.
- Professor Drew Scott receives lifetime achievement award
Published 10/09/2018 14:38
Edinburgh Law School's Prof Drew Scott has been awarded the UACES Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Lord Mackay of Drumadoon (1946 - 2018)
Published 07/09/2018 16:35
Edinburgh Law School was saddened to learn of the passing of Lord Mackay of Drumadoon earlier this month.
- Dr Smita Kheria discusses the complexities of copyright as part of the Edinburgh Festivals
Published 07/09/2018 11:38
Edinburgh Law School’s Dr Smita Kheria has been engaging audiences at the Edinburgh festivals with her research on the role of copyright for individual creators and the creative industries.
- Intellectual Property Law graduate wins third prize at the ECTA Awards 2018
Published 06/08/2018 14:06
Taryn Fels won third prize at the Awards, which are presented to individuals who have written an article or essay of importance for the development of European trademark law
- Professor Burkhard Schafer gives evidence to Law Society of England and Wales
Published 01/08/2018 11:02
Director of the SCRIPT Centre for IT and IP Law gave evidence on algorithms in the justice system
- PhD candidate wins prestigious arbitration prize
Published 31/07/2018 10:39
Edinburgh Law School PhD candidate, Álvaro García Martínez has been awarded the prize of Laureate of the Arbitration Academy 2018.
- Success for Edinburgh Law School students at Informatics Hackathon
Published 30/07/2018 11:42
Students on the LLM in Innovation, Technology and the Law programme were members of the winning team at the recent Unbias Hackathon
- Anne Roosevelt to deliver closing address at the Association of Human Rights Institutes Annual Conference to be held at Edinburgh Law School in September
Published 17/07/2018 15:36
Granddaughter of Franklin D. and Eleanor Roosevelt will deliver an address entitled "Nevertheless, She Persisted", paying tribute to her grandmother
- Edinburgh Law School students celebrate their graduations
Published 11/07/2018 10:24
The Law School was delighted to celebrate the graduation of its students at the summer graduation ceremonies last week.
- Scottish Feminist Judgments Project wins another grant
Published 20/06/2018 15:27
Project spearheaded by Law School academics received £4900 from the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences for outreach events
- Dr Agomoni Ganguli-Mitra appointed to RSE Young Academy of Scotland
Published 20/06/2018 12:20
Agomoni is co-Director of the Mason Institute
- Online LLM graduate secures national Director role
Published 12/06/2018 15:05
Recent Edinburgh Law School LLM graduate, Dr. Kishore Sreenivasan has been appointed Director for a premier intellectual property and informatics research centre in Pune, India.
- Dr Verónica Ruiz Abou-Nigm represents ASADIP at 4th meeting of the Special Commission on the Judgments Project
Published 12/06/2018 07:34
- Professor Emilios Avgouleas organises high-profile conference and public panel on systemic risk
Published 12/06/2018 06:52
- Dr Kasey McCall-Smith identified as key human rights influencer
Published 23/05/2018 09:56
Academic recognised as one of the top 100 modern slavery influencers.
- Stakeholders gather in Edinburgh to discuss challenges for the external Commons Fisheries Policy
Published 21/05/2018 16:25
PhD students at the University of Edinburgh convene Fisheries symposium
- Academics offer perspectives on Cambridge Analytica scandal
Published 09/05/2018 11:23
Professor Burkhard Schafer and Judith Rauhofer spoke at a recent community engagement event on Facebook and personal data
- Professor Bill Gilmore receives a Medal of Honour from the Council of Europe
Published 08/05/2018 12:36
Emeritus Professor of International Criminal Law presented with the Medal by the Director General for Human Rights and the Rule of Law
- Law School launches innovative European Law LLM workshop assessment
Published 02/05/2018 10:37
"Fundamental Rights in Transition: Challenges and Development in Individual Protection in the EU" was held on 23 April 2018
- FLAC team wins the Access to Justice Foundation Award 2018
Published 30/04/2018 14:54
ECPLS's Free Legal Advice Centre honoured at LawWorks and Attorney General's Student Pro Bono Awards 2018
- Alumni asked to judge Price Media Law Moot Court at the University of Oxford
Published 25/04/2018 16:04
Rhona Goodarzi and Joseph McAulay both graduated from the Law School in 2017
No results were found
No results were found