Edinburgh Law School News
- Prof Jo Shaw receives lifetime achievement award
Published 14/07/2017 14:21
Prof Jo Shaw has been awarded the UACES Lifetime Achievement Award in European Studies.
- Edinburgh Law School's FLAC shortlisted for LawWorks and Attorney General Student Award 2017
Published 28/06/2017 16:38
The Free Legal Advice Centre has been shortlisted for the Best Contribution by a Team of Students award
- Edinburgh Law School hosts a European Conference on reducing imprisonment
Published 26/06/2017 16:20
Academic Dr Fiona Jamieson chaired the conference, held on 8 and 9 June 2017
- Edinburgh Law School welcomes the United Kingdom's Supreme Court
Published 21/06/2017 11:20
Reception was held in the Playfair Library on 13 June 2017
- Gerard Porter presents at U.S. Health Law Professors Conference
Published 19/06/2017 13:10
Lecturer in Medical Law and Ethics spoke on June 10 in Atlanta
- Academics contribute to roundtable discussion with the Scottish Government
Published 19/06/2017 11:36
Professor Gerry Maher, Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm and Dr Kasey McCall-Smith talked about Civil Judicial Cooperation on 25 May 2017
- Dr Tobias Lock and Dr Gracia Marin-Duran appointed to Scottish Parliament expert panel
Published 14/06/2017 11:01
Academics will be part of the Scottish Parliament's External Experts Panel
- Navraj Singh Ghaleigh speaks at Westminster on Brexit and Climate Change
Published 08/06/2017 11:40
Lecturer spoke at a special seminar on June 1, 2017
- New report co-authored by Edinburgh Law School's Christine Bell launched by the British Academy
Published 07/06/2017 14:08
Professor Christine Bell, Co-Director of the Global Justice Academy, is lead author in a major new report launched today by the British Academy in London.
- Edinburgh Law School student wins the Colin Donald Prize
Published 07/06/2017 13:45
Leo Lehr is a student on the LLM in European Law
- Professor Stephen Tierney wins a prestigious ESRC Brexit Priority grant
Published 24/05/2017 15:32
Professor Stephen Tierney, Edinburgh Law School's Professor of Constitutional Theory, has won a prestigious ESRC Brexit Priority Grant.
Professor Tierney and two colleagues were awarded £250,000 to study "The Repatriation of Competences: Implications for Devolution". It will run for two years from May 2017 and will cement the Edinburgh Centre for Constitutional Law's position at the heart of legal research on Brexit.
The project will address how powers returning from Brussels will be located within the UK's territorial constitution. The project will involve a number of outreach events for government and parliamentary officials and other interested stakeholders across the UK.
- Dr Leandro Mancano presents at the Scottish Parliament
Published 24/05/2017 14:13
Dr Mancano gave a paper entitled 'Criminal Justice in Scotland after Brexit: at the Crossroads Between Devolution, Rights Protection and Judicial Cooperation"
- Alumnus Malcolm Mackay presented with Lifetime Achievement Award
Published 24/05/2017 12:06
The award was conferred by WeDo, a support and networking organisation for entrepreneurs
- PhD student wins the Google Award for Best Student Paper at the 2017 Bileta Conference
Published 11/05/2017 14:43
Conference was held in Braga, Portugal
- Edinburgh University Mooting Society marks another successful year
Published 11/05/2017 14:33
The Society reflects upon a year of competition success and cutting-edge problems
- Dr Kasey McCall-Smith assumes the role of Chair of the Association of Human Rights Institutes (AHRI)
Published 04/05/2017 14:44
The term will run for three years
- Academic appointed Vice-President of the European Law Faculties Association (ELFA)
Published 04/05/2017 14:22
Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm will have the role for the next five years
- Dr Leanro Macano delivers seminars at the Santa'Anna School of Advanced Studies
Published 03/05/2017 09:55
The sessions were entitled 'Free movement and criminal law: interactions and challenges at EU and national levels'
- Diploma students reach semi-finals of Mediation tournament
Published 19/04/2017 12:45
The 16th Annual INADR International Law School Mediation Tournament took place in Glasgow on 5-8 April 2017
- Professor August Reinisch from the University of Vienna delivers special guest lecture to Law School students
Published 17/04/2017 13:18
- Dr Luca Cerioni presents a special lecture for researchers and judicial assistants of the Supreme Court of the Netherlands
Published 10/04/2017 11:02
The lecture took place on Friday 7 April
- Professor John W. Cairns to be “Professeur invité” at the École Normale Supérieure in Paris
Published 10/04/2017 10:10
Academic will give a number of lectures on legal history and comparative law from 18 April to 6 May
- Students' "Hackathon" event featured in the Times
Published 06/04/2017 13:59
Edinburgh Law Connections led the Hackathon on 31 March 2017
- Professor Neil Walker awarded the Francqui medal
Published 06/04/2017 11:27
The award is made in recognition of outstanding international scholarship
- Law School staff and students receive accolades for Festival of Creative Learning
Published 22/03/2017 14:04
The University's Festival of Creative Learning took place 20-24 February 2017
- Edinburgh Law School to host events on studying European Law in the wake of the Brexit decision
Published 21/03/2017 12:55
Academics and students from Edinburgh Law School will be holding two events aimed at those with an interest in studying European Law, discussing the current issues faced by the UK and Europe following the UK's decision to withdraw from the EU (Brexit).
- Success for Edinburgh staff and student teams at IRIS conference's LexisNexis Best Paper award
Published 21/03/2017 11:12
Award was given during Europe's largest IT law conference
- The 6th Edinburgh International Willem Vis Pre-Moot held on 11-12 March 2017
Published 16/03/2017 13:08
Attendees from around the world come to Edinburgh Law School for famed pre-moot
- Dr Anna Souhami receives Leverhulme funding for enthnographic study on policing
Published 15/03/2017 13:44
Academic's study looks at policing in remote Scottish islands
- Dr Filippo Fontanelli launches Council of Europe's online course in Sarajevo
Published 15/03/2017 13:32
On 7th March, Dr Fontanelli delivered a presentation for the first regional launch of an online course on the right to property prepared in the framework of the HELP project of the Council of Europe (European Programme for Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals).
The course was launched in Sarajevo for a group of judges from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Serbia. The meeting was organised in partnership with the Judicial and Prosecutorial Training Centre of the Federation of BiH and the Judicial and Prosecutorial Training Centre of Republika Srpska.
Dr Fontanelli was invited as the coordinator of the group of experts who created the course, which has been translated in the local language and will be used to train local judges in several jurisdiction of the members of the Council of Europe.
The pilot-training project will last two months and will be tutored by Professor Ljiljana Mijovic, a former judge of the European Court of Human Rights.
- Academics contribute to a stakeholder forum on collective rights management regulations in Kenya
Published 02/03/2017 18:18
Dr Smita Kheria, Lecturer in Intellectual Property Law, and Mr Nicolas Jondet, researcher with the SCRIPT Research Centre, provided an international perspective on collective rights management in a stakeholder forum, in Nairobi, organised by the Kenya Copyright Board. The Kenya Copyright Board is holding several stakeholder forums with a view to establishing a workable a regulatory framework that promotes transparency, accountability and good governance among Kenyan Collective Management Organizations (CMOs).
- Dr McCall-Smith presents at Scottish Universities Insight Institute seminar
Published 28/02/2017 11:07
Academic presented arguments in favour of incorporating the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child into Scottish Law
- Students provide a Street Law project in conjunction with the Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC)
Published 22/02/2017 14:07
Law school students and FLAC have teamed up to provided Law Specialist Evenings to members of the public.
- Students, staff and the public given the chance to learn in creative new ways
Published 20/02/2017 12:06
The University of Edinburgh’s Festival of Creative Learning week takes place this week, with events being held across the University giving staff, students and members of the public the chance to work together and learn new skills.
- Academics provide research paper on 'Brexit and the British Bill of Rights'
Published 15/02/2017 14:09
Research paper features contributions from school staff and was edited by Dr Tobias Lock and Tom Gerard Daly
- 6th Edinburgh Arbitration Pre-Moot to be held on 11th and 12th March 2017
Published 06/02/2017 12:05
The Willem Vis International Commercial Arbitration Pre-Moot will take place in preparation for final competition in Vienna
- Lorna Richardson presents at Beyond Borders Scotland
Published 06/02/2017 11:46
Lecturer in Commercial Law spoke to a delegation of Bahraini judges
- Kasey McCall-Smith interviewed on BBC Radio Scotland's Kaye Adams Show
Published 06/02/2017 10:32
Academic speaks about executive orders on flagship radio show
- Diploma in Professional Legal Practice (PEAT 1) Open Day - 3 March 2017
Published 01/02/2017 15:40
Edinburgh Law School's dedicated Centre for Professional Legal Studies (ECPLS) is opening its doors on 3rd March 2017, for all who are interested in taking the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice (PEAT 1).
- Announcement: Professor John Kenyon (Ken) Mason 1919 - 2017
Published 26/01/2017 10:36
Edinburgh Law School is saddened to announce the death of Professor John Kenyon (Ken) Mason on 26 January 2017, at the age of 97.
- Professor Alexandra Braun appointed Lord President Reid Professor of Law
Published 20/01/2017 10:27
Edinburgh Law School is delighted to announce that Professor Alexandra Braun has been appointed as the Lord President Reid Professor of Law following the retirement of Professor George Gretton in August 2016.
- Academic publishes article on Guantanamo Bay in the Scotsman
Published 17/01/2017 12:38
- Dr Anna Souhami is awarded a £7,500 Carnegie Trust Research Incentive Grant
Published 17/01/2017 12:17
- Dr Kasey McCall-Smith delivers keynote address in Lebanon
Published 12/01/2017 11:21
- Professor Jo Shaw receives Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship
Published 09/01/2017 15:24
Edinburgh Law School's Professor Jo Shaw has been awarded a Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship to explore globalcitizenship and citizenship regimes.
- Edinburgh LLM student wins AIIP best student paper award
Published 06/01/2017 09:59
Online Distance Learning graduate, Erica Fraser, from the LLM in Innovation, Technology and the Law programme has won the Best Student Paper award in this year's AIIP Essay Competition.
- Professor George Gretton to be celebrated in book
Published 04/01/2017 11:38
The career of one of the Edinburgh Law School’s most popular figures, Professor George Gretton, is to be celebrated in a book to be published later this year.
- Academics take part in project to empower women in Middle East conflict resolution
Published 15/12/2016 13:04
Enhancing Women's Leadership for Sustainable Peace in Fragile Contexts in the MENA Region will focus on Syria, Yemen, Iraq and Libya
- Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm appears at high profile EU Civil Justice Summit at the Scottish Parliament
Published 08/12/2016 11:24
Edinburgh Law School academic represented Forum Conveniens on 24th November
- Commemorative bust of Professor Sir Neil MacCormick unveiled
Published 01/12/2016 11:23
First of four portraits created by sculptor Kenny Hunter revealed on Friday, 25th November 2016
- AHRC Funding Internal Deadline: 21st December 2016
Published 29/11/2016 10:53
Edinburgh Law School welcomes high quality applications from prospective students eligible for Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) funding to commence doctoral studies in September 2017
- Navraj Singh Ghaleigh gives evidence to Scottish Parliament
Published 28/11/2016 11:50
Academic spoke on payments to Returning Officers
- Dr Gracia Marin Duran gives evidence to the Scottish Parliament
Published 24/11/2016 13:41
Academic appeared as a witness before the Europe and External Relations Committee
- Dr Smita Kheria speaks at a meeting of the International Federation of Musicians
Published 16/11/2016 10:15
Dr Kheria was invited to speak at a meeting of the European group of The International Federation of Musicians, in Belgrade in November 2016.
- Edinburgh Law School academic invited to advise top European judges on Brexit
Published 16/11/2016 09:23
Professor Stephen Tierney has been invited to address a meeting of the European Legal Dialogues group of the UK Supreme Court, the Conseil d'Etat, the European Court of Human Rights and the Bundesverfassungsgericht at the site of the German Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe on 24-25 November.
- Alumnus serves as counsel in Brexit case
Published 11/11/2016 12:50
Gerry Facenna Q.C. is an Edinburgh Law School LLB graduate
- Academics give evidence to the Scottish Parliament
Published 11/11/2016 12:44
Dr Tobias Lock and Dr Cormac Mac Amlaigh present to the Equalities and Human Rights Committee
- Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm presents at the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH)
Published 07/11/2016 12:42
Edinburgh Law School academic represented the American Association of Private International Law (ASADIP)
- Edinburgh Law School host an Executive Session to discuss local and community policing
Published 01/11/2016 12:40
Academics and the Scottish Institute for Policing Research (SIPR) came together on 21 October 2016
- Professor Emilios Avgouleas Speaks at Yale Law School in Praise of Long-Term Finance for Sustainable Growth
Published 27/10/2016 16:25
Professor Emilios Avgouleas was invited to give a seminar for the world renown Wasserman workshop in Law and Finance and the Centre for Corporate Law at Yale Law School.
- New scholarships available for LLM Human Rights
Published 19/10/2016 11:17
MasterCard to offer 10 postgraduate Masters scholarships for African students
- British Crime Historians Symposium held in Old College
Published 10/10/2016 12:11
Event was co-hosted by Edinburgh Law School's Dr Chloe Kennedy
- Dr Luca Cerioni consults on EU tax policy options
Published 06/10/2016 13:04
Academic was invited to give personal input into a feasibility study undertaken on behalf of the European Commission
- Law academics win Chancellor's Award for Impact 2016
Published 03/10/2016 14:17
Professors Lesley McAra and Susan McVie recognised for impact excellence at gala dinner
- Professor E. Avgouleas Speaks at the US Federal Reserve on Ways to Resolve the Too-Big-To-Fail Conundrum
Published 30/09/2016 11:26
Professor Emilios Avgouleas spoke at a workshop of the very high profile series on “Ending The Too-Big-To-Fail” institution organised by the President of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank (FRB) Neel Kashkari under the aegis of the USA Federal Reserve on 26 September.
- Professor Sharon Cowan to speak at Holyrood's Transgender Equality event
Published 21/09/2016 11:51
This event will look at issues facing trans people and how to promote transgender equality
- Edinburgh Law School to support ongoing law reform
Published 20/09/2016 12:39
Landmark agreement will strengthen relationship between the Scottish Law Commission and Scotland's law schools
- Academics speak at high-profile conference in Bilbao
Published 20/09/2016 12:26
Dr Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm and Dr Simone Lamont-Black gave papers at IX European Colloquium of Maritime Law Research
- Law School staff take a Big Leap in aid of Free Legal Advice Centre
Published 19/09/2016 15:15
Four members of Edinburgh Law School took part in the University's 'Big Leap' on Sunday by abseiling down the Law School's temporary home, David Hume Tower, to raise funds for the University's Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC).
- Welcome to 2016/17 at Edinburgh Law School
Published 13/09/2016 10:53
A very warm 'welcome' to all new students and an equally warm 'welcome back' to our returning students!
- Ewan Cameron Travel Scholarship recipients discuss their experiences
Published 08/09/2016 13:05
Ellen Francksen, Paula Kaptelli and Daniel Zakrewski went to the Salzburg Summer School of European Private Law
- New Europa Institute website
Published 08/09/2016 12:53
A revamped Europa Institute website has been launched for the new academic year
- Dr Andrew Steven reappointed to the Scottish Law Commission
Published 31/08/2016 13:43
Edinburgh Law School academic senior lecturer to continue to lead Commission's property law team
- Edinburgh Law School academics part of public discussion on Brexit
Published 24/08/2016 13:17
First of University's 'Brexit and You' public events to be held on August 25th
- Professor Burkhard Schafer to appear at Festival of Politics
Published 17/08/2016 13:13
Academic will discuss "Fourth Industrial Revolution" at Scottish Parliament
- Alumna Katherine Grainger becomes most decorated British female Olympian
Published 15/08/2016 14:53
A silver medal in Rio makes Edinburgh Law School graduate Britain's most successful female athlete
No results were found
No results were found