Visiting research students
Edinburgh Law School welcomes applications from PhD scholars of other universities to visit the Law School for periods of between one and six months.
Please note that due to the current Covid-19 pandemic we have suspended student visits until semester 2 and are unable to accept visiting research applications at this time.
We are a comprehensive Law School, Scotland’s leading University for legal research, and are based in the heart of the capital city alongside key judicial bodies, the Scottish Parliament and the National Library. We have a diverse and international community of scholars including doctoral students, dedicated early career researchers and combined research and teaching staff.
During your visit we will provide:
- Hot desk space subject to availability.
- Visitor access to IT accounts, on-campus WIFI access, library access (Law and other libraries).
- Two formal meetings with the applicant's academic sponsor at the start and close of their visit. Further meetings with the sponsor and other colleagues can be made at the applicant's discretion.
- Introduction to the Law School's PhD cohort.
- Access to all Law School seminar series and other events across the University.
If you are admitted to the University for less than or up to twelve weeks, you will not be charged a tuition fee.
If you are admitted for more than twelve weeks and up to and including six months, you will be charged a flat fee rate which will be £730 in session
Applicants are required to:
- prove that they are currently registered for a PhD
- prove that they meet the University's standard PhD entry requirements, including certification of English language skills where relevant.
Find out more about our entry requirements
- find an academic sponsor within the Law School in their field
- complete an application form.
Please note that it is your responsibility to secure the correct entry permission (visa).
Please note that due to the current Covid-19 pandemic we are unable to accept visiting research applications at this time. If conditions allow, applications will re-open in semester 2.
To keep up to date with the University's response to the Covid-19 pandemic please visit the following website for updates.
Students wishing to apply for a doctoral visit using the Erasmus+ or the League of European Research Universities (LERU) exchange schemes should contact the Postgraduate Research Director, Dr Filippo Fontanelli, in the first instance at email@example.com
Where visitors do not wish to go through this process, or wish to visit for less than two weeks, the Law School can offer no formal support for visits. However the University Library has arrangements in place for public access to material on site and a number of our Law School events are open to the public. In these cases, it will not be possible to access legal databases or any other electronic resource to which the University of Edinburgh subscribes. If your own institution is a member of the Eduroam network, you may be able to use the University's Wi-Fi network to access the internet via your own devices while you are here.
Please contact us if you are interested in visiting Edinburgh Law School.