About the GJA
What is the Global Justice Academy?
The Global Justice Academy is an interdisciplinary network that supports research, teaching and knowledge exchange on global justice issues. It seeks to build on, consolidate and expand the work of existing centres and collaborations at the University of Edinburgh.
In particular, the Global Justice Academy aims to provide:
- An interdisciplinary hub for the exploration of what global justice is;
- An intellectual meeting place for the discussion of novel ideas regarding a more just world;
- An institutional forum for dialogue with practitioners engaged in justice issues locally and globally.
In this short video, Professor Christine Bell introduces the Global Justice Academy and its work:
How do we collaborate?
The Global Justice Academy is active in facilitating discussions to enable individual academics and existing centres and networks to expand their scope.
The goal is to allow the members of the Global Justice Academy to broaden their horizons with regard to research, teaching and knowledge exchange. In the medium-term, hopefully this will lead to collaborative research projects, new teaching initiatives and original forms of engagement with the public at large.
We have an active research agenda and broad teaching remit
- Conflict and Peace Research
- Human Rights and Social Justice Research
- Urban Justice Lab
- Gender Justice Lab
- Measurements and Indicators Research
- Global Justice Theory Research
The Global Justice Academy is one of five Edinburgh Global Academies, joining the Global Agriculture and Food Security Academy, Global Development Academy, Global Environment and Society Academy, and the Global Health Academy.
Under the leadership of the Associate Principal Global Justice, the Directorship of the Global Justice Academy rotates on an annual basis.
The Global Justice Academy is run by a Management Committee, which is drawn from a broader Steering Committee of Members from across the University of Edinburgh.
- Dr Kasey McCall-Smith, Global Justice Academy Director
- Ms Valentina Rioseco Vallejos, Global Justice Academy Administrator
Membership of The Global Justice Academy is open to anyone with an interest in our research themes or in Global Justice more generally, and our University membership is collected together on Edinburgh Research Explorer (ERE).