International Students

The University's Edinburgh Global offers a fantastic service dedicated to supporting both international applicants and on-programme international students.

Their website has lots of really useful information about visas, travel, fees & finance, entry requirements and much more, which we recommend you visit.

Visit the University of Edinburgh's International Students page.

Transferring your Law Degree

The LLB from Edinburgh is an internationally recognised undergraduate qualification in most countries, however if you want to find out more about studying in the UK from your particular country, the British Council Higher Education website has useful country-specific information.

Visit the British Council Higher Education website

For students from the USA and Canada

In the United Kingdom, law is studied at undergraduate level. This means that students are able to apply to study for a law degree as soon as they finish their high school or college studies. The LLB is a four year degree and is the most common entry route for students wishing to pursue a career in the legal profession in Scotland or beyond.

 High School/College Studies
 LLB Degree
Accredit degree for use in USA

The Graduate LLB
The university also offers a Graduate LLB option for students who already hold an undergraduate degree in a non-law subject. The Graduate LLB degree is a two-year qualification and is only open to applicants who already have a degree.

High School/College Studies
  Undergraduate degree in a non-law subject
 Graduate LLB Degree
Accredit degree for use in USA

The Postgraduate LLM
Edinburgh also offers a wide range of postgraduate qualifications for students who wish to broaden their legal education. It is important to note however, that the LLM is an academic and not a professional qualification, and alone does not meet the requirements for entry into the legal profession.

LLB Accreditation in the USA and Canada

Accreditation refers to the ability to transfer your LLB degree from Edinburgh into the jurisdiction in which you intend to practice.  Each state/province in the USA and Canada has its own rules and regulations governing which subjects and qualifications a student will need in order to qualify for entrance into the legal profession.

Use the interactive map below to find the contact details of the regulatory body in each state or province.  Students should contact these organisations directly for further information about accreditation requirements.

View LLB Accreditation in a larger map