Professor George Gretton retired from the Edinburgh Law School in July 2016 after 35 years. From 1994 until his retirement he was the Lord President Reid Professor of Law. He served as a Scottish Law Commissioner from 2006 to 2011.
George Gretton’s contribution to legal scholarship both in Scotland and internationally has been profound. He has authored or co-authored more than 150 books, chapters and articles. He is particularly known for his work on commercial law, conveyancing, property law, and trusts and succession law.
As a teacher, George Gretton is remembered with affection by generations of Edinburgh law students for his intellect and humour. He has also been hugely influential on younger scholars. Behind the scenes, he has worked tirelessly to maintain and improve the holdings of the University of Edinburgh’s Law Library. He is also held in high regard by the legal profession in Scotland. His conveyancing roadshow with Professor Kenneth Reid, now in its 26th year, is an annual highlight.
To mark his retirement and to celebrate his work, three of his former students, Dr Andrew Steven, Dr Ross Anderson and Dr John MacLeod, are editing a collection of essays in his honour. The contributors are academic colleagues of George Gretton from home and abroad, as well as members of the judiciary and legal profession.
The book is to be published in December 2017 by Avizandum Publishing. It is to be partly funded by subscription. Those who subscribe, at the price of £25 prior to 30 June 2017, will have their names included as subscribers in the book (unless they wish to remain anonymous). They will also receive a copy following publication. Individuals, firms and institutions are welcome to subscribe.
The contributors to the volume are:
- Dr Ross Anderson, Faculty of Advocates and University of Glasgow
- Alan Barr, Brodies LLP and University of Edinburgh
- Professor John Blackie, University of Strathclyde
- Professor Alexandra Braun, University of Oxford
- Professor Eric Clive, University of Edinburgh
- Judge Elizabeth Cooke, Land Registration Division of the Property Chamber, First-Tier Tribunal of England and Wales and University of Cambridge
- Sheriff Douglas Cusine
- Professor Marius de Waal, University of Stellenbosch
- The Rt Hon Lord Drummond Young, Court of Session
- Jakob Gleim, Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg
- The Rt Hon Lord Hodge, UK Supreme Court
- Professor David Johnston QC, Faculty of Advocates, University of Edinburgh and Scottish Law Commission
- Professor John Lovett, Loyola University, New Orleans
- Professor Laura Macgregor, University of Edinburgh
- Dr John MacLeod, University of Glasgow
- Professor Hector MacQueen, University of Edinburgh and Scottish Law Commission
- Professor Gerard Maher QC, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Roderick Paisley, University of Aberdeen
- Professor Kenneth Reid, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Robert Rennie, Harper Macleod LLP
- Dr Jan Peter Schmidt, Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg
- Professor Lionel Smith, McGill University
- Dr Andrew Steven, University of Edinburgh and Scottish Law Commission
- Professor Lars van Vliet, Maastricht University
- Dr Peter Webster, Barrister
- Professor Niall Whitty, University of Edinburgh
- The Hon Lady Wolffe, Court of Session
- The Rt Hon W James Wolffe QC, Lord Advocate
- Professor Reinhard Zimmermann, Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg
To subscribe, please click the link below to provide your details and make payment using the University's secure ePay system.