.....if you're applying for commercial law firms. Either on the form or at the interview you're likely to be asked questions to test your knowledge in this area. Make sure you're up to speed by following the pointers below:
- keep up to date with business and current affairs via relevant programmes on the radio, television, websites and business and current affairs sections of quality newspapers. Know what's going on, and consider the potential impact for the law firm you're applying to, and also for their clients.
- read the information on the Careers Service website about enhancing your business awareness.
- listen to what a careers adviser has to say about developing your business awareness - they may be from an institution south of the border, but the advice crosses boundaries!
- read about different issues affecting law firms via 'The Burning Question' on the LawCareers.net website.
- read general advice on developing commerical awareness.
If you follow the steps above, questions relating to business/commerical awareness such as 'what are some of the key issues facing our firm/our clients in the next few year?' or 'tell me about something in the business press that has interested you recently. Why did you find it interesting? How, if at all will it affect our business?', will no longer strike panic. Being business aware is your business!