The Edinburgh Roman Law Group was founded in the early 1980s by the late Professor Peter Birks, then holder of the Chair of Civil Law at the University of Edinburgh, later Regius Professor of Civil Law at All Souls, Oxford. It is an interdisciplinary forum devoted to the study of Roman law in its broadest sense. The Group consists of specialists, students and members of the public with a general interest in Roman law.
The Group meets on three occasions during the course of the academic year, usually on a Friday afternoon at 5.30. Unless otherwise indicated, meetings generally take place in the Lorimer room, Old College, School of Law, Edinburgh University, South Bridge, Edinburgh, EH8 9YL. All meetings are open to the public.
The convener of the group is Dr. Paul J. du Plessis
There will be three meetings of the Edinburgh Roman Law Group during the course of 2007/08:
- Friday 30 November 2007: Professor William Gordon, Professor Emeritus of Civil Law, Glasgow University "Roman Law and All That". NB - THIS MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE MOOT COURT ROOM.
- Friday 22 February 2008: Professor Laurent Waelkens, Catholic University of Leuven, "Causa Obligationis: Classical Roman Law from the 16th Century".
- Friday 18 April 2008: Workshop "The use of Roman law in recent Scottish court cases"
- Friday 2 May 2008: Professor Michael Crawford, University College London "The development of law in the late Roman Republic". PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE MOOT COURT ROOM.
- Winter 2008 Professor Jose Luis Alonso, University of San Sebastian - Title: Hypallagma or Law without Lawyers. 21 November 2008.
- Winter 2008 Joint meeting of the Edinburgh Roman Law Group and the Edinburgh Legal Theory Reading Group. Dr. James Lee, University of Birmingham - Title: Confusio: Developing English Private law through Reference to Roman law. 26 November 2008.
- Spring 2009 Dr Simon Corcoran, University College London - Title: Justinian and his two codes: revisiting P. Oxy. 1814. 27 March 2009.
- Summer 2009 Dr Caroline Humfress, Birckbeck College, University of London - Title: The late Roman episcopalis audientia: how (not) to make sense of the legal evidence. 1 May 2009.
5. Line-up for 2009/10
- Winter 2009 Professor Wocjciech Dajczak, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan - Title: Res Incorporales: Debate about the Materiality of Property in light of the Roman law tradition.Past speakers include:
- Spring 2010 Dr. Eric Descheemaeker, University of Bristol - Title: "Dividing Wongs: The Civilian Experience". 29 January 2010./edinburghromanlawgroup/files/Edinburgh.pdf
- Summer 2010 Professor Martin Avenarius, University of Cologne - Title: TBC.
Professor Ernest Metzger
Professor Dr. Thomas Finkenauer
Professor Pascal Pichonnaz
Professor Andrew Lintott
Professor Michael Crawford
Professor Robert Feenstra
Professor Jan Lokin
Professor Jan Hallebeek
Dr. Olga Tellegen-Couperus
Professor Martin Schermaier
Professor Michael Rainer
Professor Boudewijn Sirks
Lord Rodger of Earlsferry
Dr. Johanna Filip-Fröschl
Professor Olivia Robinson
Professor Andrew Lewis
Dr Tammo Wallinga
Professor Jean-François Gerkens
Mag. Marguerite Duynstee
Professor Hans Ankum
Professor Eric Pool
In 2004/05, the Edinburgh Roman Law Group organised a mini-conference on the topic “Law and Society in the Roman World”. Legal historians and ancient historians from Europe and the United States of America were invited to address specific topics within this larger theme. The proceedings of this conference have been edited as a volume in the Edinburgh Studies in Law series and will appear during the course of 2007 as Cairns, J.W. and Du Plessis, P.J. (eds) Beyond Dogmatics: Law and Society in the Roman World (Edinburgh 2007).
All enquiries about the Edinburgh Roman Law Group may be directed to the convener, Dr. P.J. du Plessis, School of Law, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh EH8 9YL, alternatively firstname.lastname@example.org